Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Who Am I

My name is Rebecca and I am a borderline geek. “What is a borderline geek?” you ask. Well, it’s what it sounds like, I am too geeky to not be a geek and not geeky enough to live in a geek world. I speak geek, but not fluently. I understand some of the jokes, but still get lost in the humor.

My father is a chief geek, with a PHD in Computer Forensics and almost 40 years in the IT world you kind of have to be. I always joked that I was born and breed geek. The truth is that when I was younger I fought tooth and nail to not follow in my father footsteps (don’t get me wrong, I love my father I just wanted to be my own person), but I didn’t stand a chance, I love Technology. Hell I learned my alphabet when I was three playing Wheel of Fortune on the computer in my father’s lap. For awhile I was convinced that the alphabet went qwerty….

Now that I am older I understand that it’s ok to follow in my father’s footstep, that it doesn’t mean I’m not my own person. The problem is I spent so much time fighting who I was that I lost out on the chance to learn a lot of things and now I’m play catch up. My father still teaches me new thing every day. I know enough that I can have a conversation with him without having to stop every two minutes and have something explained. But I am not at a point where I want to be, I have so much more to learn. That is where this blog comes in to play, I will post (try to post) one geeky thing a day. Whether it is a story, something I learned, or a joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment